Sunday, October 11, 2020

DIY Cold Brew

 Yes. You read that right--cold brew. I know it's not my usual thing but this stuff is good and with working at home in a warm room this summer (still 100F here in AZ in the afternoons and it's October), this stuff has been a life saver over my usual hot brew.

Parts

There's not much for me to say other than I've been loving this combination: Folgers (yeah--Folgers!) Black Silk and this gigantic mason jar brewer. I've purchased the same container of Black Silk at Safeway but I'm seriously considering putting this stuff on subscription.

Technique

The one thing I can say that might reveal a little some "know-how" is that I do not put the ground coffee in the brewer's filter--I put it outside it. That is, in the 2qt brewer, I put 2 cups of ground coffee and then I add the filter. That way, I can get a ton of coffee in there and the filter strains it when I pour.

Other than that, I check on it an hour or so after starting to make sure it's not all floating and that the grounds are fully submerged by turning it over a couple times (holding the pour spot to be sure). Have at it a few hours in if you must but I like it when it's hit a good 12-24 hours of brewing.

Drink it however you like but I will tell you I do 1/2 brew, 1/4 ice, and 1/4 water or, when I want something really thick and refreshing, 2/3 brew with 1/3 whole milk.





No comments:

Post a Comment